Old Hyde

Old Hyde
Pole Bank 1910 ----------------------------------------------------------Town Hall 1937 --------------------------------------------- Cenotaph 1990

Monday, 24 November 2008

Apethorn Farm


Originally this was a cruck-framed longhouse from the 15th century.

It was encased in rubble in the 17th century and later with brick.

In 1831 it was the scene of a murder.

In 1928 it was divided into cottages and then in 1993 a fire reduced to it to just the original cruck frame.

You can see how it looked in 2000 in this earlier post

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if I can adequately express myself here, but your photos of humble buildings that were built before my country was even settled (by Europeans) is a constant source of distraction!

    Cheers!

    Sunshine Coast Daily - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. A murder! Perish the thought.It looks so innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is incredible. Such history. I wonder if it's haunted? And thanks for the link to the Images of England site, that is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. does it seem a little lop-sided or is it just me?
    i love big old properties like this - we have very few of these in good condition in the country, but in town they seem to be getting renovated and are serving as banks and other offices.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to keep captchas on my blogs but I took them off and got inundated with spam - I appreciate your efforts to comment despite the hurdle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails