Saturday, 2 March 2013
A View of Pole Bank
Pole Bank was originally the home of the Ashton and Beeley famiies. Thomas Kerfoot rented the property from 1912-19.
The hall and grounds were purchased in 1920 by George Frederick Byrom for £4200. He died in 1942 and in 1946 in accordance with his will Pole Bank Hall and Grounds were bequeathed to the Corporation of Hyde for the use and recreation of the general public. Read details of the bequest.
A video by "Lilac Toad" with old photos relating to the history of Pole Bank can by found on YouTube.
Another video shows the work of the Friends of Pole Bank who carried out needed restoration work of the pond last year.
The hall itself is now a nursing home and the grounds are a public open space.
The small three-foot sapling in the above photograph is now a mature fir tree as can be seen in a view across the pond on Hyde Daily Photo (Vol. 2).
Another four recent photographs of Pole Bank pond can be found on Hyde DP Xtra.