Sunday, 6 October 2013
St Thomas The Apostle (1920)
This painting, dated 1920, of St Thomas the Apostle on Lumn Road was on show at the recent Heritage Open Day.
St Thomas' church was built in 1868. The architect, Medland Taylor was a Manchester architect who produced a number of fine if quirkish buildings. Locally, he designed St. Anne's, Denton, St. Mar'’s, Haughton Green, Holy Trinity, Hyde and the Library and the Post Office in Stalybridge. At the time when many architects were designing churches in a style they believed to be a copy of Gothic Architecture, Medland was producing an inventive mixture of architectural styles and motifs. For example, St. Thomas' has brick buttresses and window surrounds with stone infilling. Most would have followed the convention and used stone with brick infilling. According to Pevsner, the roof is an example of his humour, having a quirky additional pitch to it. The proportions of the church are such that St. Thomas' appears to be quite a small building, whereas it is fairly large.
Also on show were this piece of crockery celebrating the 125th anniversary of the church in 1993.
See Hyde Daily Photo for a current view of the church.
Visit the church website.
A contribution to Inspired Sundays.