Old Hyde

Old Hyde
Pole Bank 1910 ----------------------------------------------------------Town Hall 1937 --------------------------------------------- Cenotaph 1990

Tuesday 18 September 2007

Church Brow Gardens


Church Brow is just below Wood End Street and this photograph (c.1910) shows the allotments in the valley of Gower Hey Brook.

There are still allotments today alongside Wood End Street, but the valley is now much more thickly wooded and below Gower Road is an estate of new houses.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gerald, where this picture was taken from, later had allotments on them as well. My father had his allotment here. There was a farm here called Fawleys Farm. I spent many a day in my childhood feeding chickens and rabbits that dad kept there. He was also into Pigeon Racings and was Secutary and Tresurer of Hyde Homing Society and Gee Cross Homing Society. When these allotments were pulled down and the land used for housing he moved over to Church Brew, it was the biggest Pigeon Loft on there, and I think it still stands. It is on the bank of St Georges Church. He shared that with George Higgingbotton and Stefen Zeaman.
    Thanks for bring back some really nice memorys for me today.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to keep captchas on my blogs but I took them off and got inundated with spam - I appreciate your efforts to comment despite the hurdle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails