Sunday, 9 September 2007
This picture by Frank Bennett and reproduced here with his permission, first appeared on the Images of England site.
Photograph taken August 1999.
Hearse house next to St. George's Church on Wood End Lane is a Grade II listed building. 1841 on keystone. Hammer-dressed stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Gable facing road and having large double doors within a Tudor-arched surround with chamfered rustication and a skull and cross bones keystone. Coped gables and eaves bands.
These days it seems to be used for storage. This Eagle Lectern was found there before being put on display at the recent Heritage Open Day.