Old Hyde

Old Hyde
Pole Bank 1910 ----------------------------------------------------------Town Hall 1937 --------------------------------------------- Cenotaph 1990

Friday 18 January 2008

Longdendale Minature Castle


This picture by Frank Bennett and reproduced here with his permission, first appeared on the Images of England site.

The farmhouse and cottage on Matley Lane were photographed in May 2000.

It is late C18 but with additions, including the facade of mid C19. Hammer-dressed stone and coursed rubble with C20 clay tile and graduated stone slate roofs. 3 bays, 2 storeys apart from a 3-storey tower in bay 1. Projecting plinth and castellated parapet. Bay l has flat-faced 3 and 2-light mullion and transom windows, projecting corner piers, castellated parapet and band. Windows with stone surrounds to bay 2 which has a square-cut door surround. Bay 3 which has a higher parapet has an engraved stone reading "Longdendale Miniature Castle".

2 comments:

  1. I can't for the life of me think where this is Gerald...I'm up and down Matley Lane most weeks but I dont recall ever seeing this... any ideas where abouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this place today Gerald, by accident as well I may say. I was out with the camera on Harrop Edge taking pictures of Moss and Lichen in an old quarry... I turned to look towards Hattersley and there it was. Just down the track from Cheetham Farm. The area is Matley.. but the road it is on turns right off Matley Lane right at the top. The views were very good up there today but the wind was strong

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to keep captchas on my blogs but I took them off and got inundated with spam - I appreciate your efforts to comment despite the hurdle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails