Sunday, 29 June 2008
Hyde Chapel, 1767
The present Hyde Chapel was built in 1846.
The first chapel on the site was built in 1708. It was extended in 1767. No picture of the original chapel is known to exist, but when we visited the recent Beatrix Potter Exhibition, we were shown this picture of the extended chapel. It was demolished following the completion of the new chapel, but the site can be made out in the present graveyard.
A look at the picture in situ can by found on Hyde Daily Photo.