Old Hyde

Old Hyde
Pole Bank 1910 ----------------------------------------------------------Town Hall 1937 --------------------------------------------- Cenotaph 1990

Tuesday, 23 April 2013

The Annals of Hyde: St George's Church

These images are from The Annals of Hyde.

The Annals of Hyde tells us
Prior to 1831, the Church of England had no place of worship in the township, and for ecclesiastical purposes Hyde was connected with the Parish Church of Stockport, which place many of the inhabitants attended. Others worshipped at Mottram, or at Denton Old Church ... But the rapid increase of the population of Hyde (owing to the spread of the cotton industry), and the long hours that the people had to work, caused the need of a church within the township to become apparent. The matter was taken up by (among others) Captain Clarke, who obtained the gift of a site from his half-brother, George Clarke, and eventually St. George's Church was built.

The erection of this spacious building was commenced in 1831, the foundation stone being laid on May 28th of that year, by Captain Hyde John Clarke, J.P. The cost, about £5,000, was chiefly guaranteed by the Church Building Commissioners.

The building was consecrated on October 20th, 1832, by the Rt. Rev. John Bird Sumner, D.D., Lord Bishop of Chester, afterwards Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is a plain substantial stone erection in the perpendicular style, consisting of a tower, a wide nave, and a small chancel. The tower which is lofty and square, surmounted by pinnacles with floreated finials, commands a fine view of the surrounding country. It contains a clock and a peal of eight bells the latter inscribed with the names of the gentlemen who contributed to the cost.

The first peal was rung on the 20th of March, 1853, by the ringers from Mottram Parish Church. Since that time the ringers of St. George's have distinguished themselves in various parts of the country, and have been awarded many prizes for
their skill in this department.

The interior of the church (which is galleried all round), underwent renovation some years ago, and is now calculated to seat above 1,200 persons, the whole of the sittings being free. The large east window of stained glass is a fine piece of workman-ship, and was the gift of John Sidebotham, Esq., J.P., of Kingston.

A large memorial window on the western side was inserted by Mrs. Horsfield, of the Longlands, in memory of her son, and on the north and south sides most of the original windows have been replaced by panes of stained glass in commemoration of departed parishioners. The edifice also contains tablets to the memory of the Rev. Alexander Read and the Rev. Herbert Alkin, former vicars, and one perpetuating the labours of Richard Gilbody and George Middleton, two workers in the Sunday Schools.

In the main entrance of the church, beneath the tower, is the family vault of the Clarke's descendants of the ancient lords of Hyde and there sleeps Captain Hyde John Clarke, who for many years was the chief figure in this part of the country.

St. George's was first formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1843.

See how the church looks today on Hyde Daily Photo.

Monday, 1 April 2013

Sending water to Manchester (1888)

Click on image to view large size

This fascinating map is taken from the Journal of the Manchester Geographical Society which published an address given by William Sherratt on April 4th 1888.

Here are a few snippets as regards the reservoirs of the Longdendale Valley.

Longdendale was chosen as a source due its purity taking only second place within the UK to that at Loch Katrine. There is a softness in the Manchester water and a freedom from those salts and chemicals held in solution which give to other water supplies their varying hardness.

The Longdendale gathering grounds will be seen on the map, where the valley into which the water flows and river Etherow are shown. It was damned up and made into reservoirs. The area of this drainage ground is 19,300 acres of thirty square miles. There are 975 acres of water.

The height of Woodhead above the Ordnance level is 782ft. The water is sent on from Rhodes Wood reservoir to Arnfield and Hollingworth by its own gravitation.

There are innumerable springs. Each spring, as it is found, is tapped and the flow conducted into what is called a spring-water conduit. There is an arrangement by which this conduit simply takes up the pure spring water and lets the flood water go into Woodhead reservoir. There is a weir which receives the water from Heyden Brook. This pure spring-water conduit goes underneath. The moment any rain or flood comes it swells the stream at once, and instead of the water falling into the pure spring-water conduit it escapes over the sill.

At Hollingworth there are houses for the incubation of fish. Char and trout are turned into the reservoir and their presence does away the fishy odour and taste which arose from a species of snail. The fish act as scavengers.

To read the whole text view this pdf file.

Godley reservoir lies on the Manchester side of the Longdendale reservoirs. See a track to Godley reservoir on Hyde Daily Photo.
Related Posts with Thumbnails