Old Hyde

Old Hyde
Pole Bank 1910 ----------------------------------------------------------Town Hall 1937 --------------------------------------------- Cenotaph 1990

Tuesday 12 March 2013

Comfort Corner, 1948



I recently heard from Bill Bevan who now lives in Nebraska USA, who wrote
I have a photo of my dad on his bike at the corner of Market street/ Manchester road / Newton street about 1948 showing Garbetts shop and an old number 19 double decker. It hung on my dad's living room wall from the eary 60s until his death in 1987 then on mine and we brought it with us when we moved to Nebraska. He always claimed the man on the bike was him on his way home from work at E Lowerys whose yard was under the arches at Hyde station. He was their lorry driver up to his retirement and I can just about remember him driving their steam shovel as well. I remember the old SHMD trams, the tramshed used to be roughly where Morrisons store is on Mottram Rd. Some of the trams had wooden slatted seats the backs of which reversed when the tram changed direction and were bloody uncomfortable if you were a kid in short trousers. They only ran as far as Godly Arches bacause they couldn't make the grade up to Mottram, there were also buses from there to Glossop which usualy needed the radiator refiiling at the horse trough just before what is now the eastern end of the M67.
See Hyde Daily Photo for a view from about the same spot now.

For Our World Tuesday.

10 comments:

  1. Double Deck !!! Absolutely great !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've seen a double decker tram, even in a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to receive a photo like that. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun thing to receive a photo like that....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this photo of the tram going past comfort corner, I would only have been two when this photo was taken in 1948. But it brings back happy memories of a lovely shop, because Garbetts comfort corner was my family's shoe shop, my family gave the shop a good title didn't they! it was very popular in Hyde for years and years, that shop had real character, I loved it! It was sad to see it pulled down, even though it was quite an old shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tram is amazing! I've never seen anything like that. And what a great story to go with the photo!

    Have a wonderful day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived opposite the tramshed,on Lewis St,they used to rattle past our house from about 6.00am...They didn,t wake us kids up,but I think my Dad used them instead of an alarm clock...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great photo ! it brought back lovely memories. I remember Bill Bevin he worked for my grand father Tom Hallows at A E Lowery. I remember Bill used to pick my grandad up every morning and drive him to work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garbett's old shop also had a small photo of a no.19 tram passing under the Manchester Road railway-bridge and dated April 13th, 1947.The image showed two sets of wires-two single tram-wires and two double trolleybus wires: the trolleybuses weren't in service until ca. 1950 and were phased out around the time that the bus station opened (1963)-possibly because the wires couldn't be re-routed into it at a reasonable cost.The tram photo also appeared in Garbett's new shop up Market Street near the Town Hall: does anyone still have it ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i ws an apprentice at a.e lowery under the arches at the bottom of grt norbury street my dad also worked there for many years

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to keep captchas on my blogs but I took them off and got inundated with spam - I appreciate your efforts to comment despite the hurdle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails